Vitamin D is an essential fat-soluble vitamin found in our body. We got 20% of our vitamin D from diet and rest 80% from sunlight. There are two types of ultraviolet rays that reach the earth surface 1. UVA 2. UVB rays of sunlight helps to synthesize vitamin D from our skin.
CAUSES OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY
- Obese persons.
- Limited exposure to sunlight
- Strictly vegetarian
- Dark skin person
- Regular use of sunscreen lotion
- Being indoor too much
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY
- Bone pain, muscle weakness, Back pain, and low back pain are common
- Fatigue and tiredness occur in vitamin D deficiency persons.
- Recent studies show that vitamin D deficiency is associated with low mood and depression.
- Low bone density and fragile bone are associated with vitamin D deficiency.
- Low immunity i.e, more susceptible to infections.
- Hypocalcemia (a condition in which the blood has too little calcium)
- Studies show that vitamin D deficiency is associated with Multiple Sclerosis ( a serious disease which causes you to slowly lose control of your body and become less able to move ). lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Parkinson’s disease ( may cause stiffness and tremors), Alzheimer’s disease (a disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions), etc.
There are supplements that can be taken on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. work with your doctor to find the optimal plan for you.
- Adults who are vitamin D deficient be treated with 60,000 IU weekly of vitamin D3.
- Increased exposure to sunlight.
- Take vitamin D rich foods like COD liver oil.