Vitamin D is an essential fat-soluble vitamin found in our body. We got 20% of our vitamin D from diet and rest 80% from sunlight. There are two types of ultraviolet rays that reach the earth’s surface 1. UVA 2. UVB rays of sunlight help to synthesize vitamin D from our skin. However, physicians diagnose causes of vitamin D deficiency and give treatment accordingly.
CAUSES OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY
- Limited exposure to sunlight
- Regular use of sunscreen lotion
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY
- Bone pain, muscle weakness, Back pain, and low back pain are common.
- Fatigue and tiredness occur in vitamin D deficiency persons.
- Recent studies show that vitamin D deficiency is associated with low mood and depression.
- Low bone density and fragile bone are associated with vitamin D deficiency.
- Low immunity i.e more susceptible to infections.
- Hypocalcemia (a condition in which the blood has too little calcium).
- Studies show that vitamin D deficiency is associated with Multiple Sclerosis ( a serious disease which causes you to slowly lose control of your body and become less able to move ), lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Parkinson’s disease ( may cause stiffness and tremors), Alzheimer’s disease (a disease that destroys memory and other important mental functions) etc.
Vitamin D deficient persons can take supplements on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Consult with your doctor to find the optimal plan for you.
- Vitamin D deficient adults must take 60,000 IU of vitamin D3.
- Increased exposure to sunlight.
- Take vitamin D rich foods like COD liver oil.